Assisted Felling Operations
Duration: 1 day Training with an optional 1 day City & Guilds NPTC Assessment
Attendees: max. 4 per course
Venue: This is normally completed at our site locally to Builth Wells, however this can also run at Llanidloes, in Powys.
If you have enough people for a full course we are able to run this course on your site (subject to a pre-course visit).
Pre-requisites: Chainsaw Maintenance & Crosscutting, Felling & Processing Trees up to 380mm and Felling & Processing Trees over 380mm
- Understand the conditions necessary for the safe & effective use of the winch or rope, including legislative requirements and controls to prevent environmental damage.
- Understand the differences between winch assisted and conventional tree felling and understand situations that can occur in felling trees using winch or rope assistance.
- Understand the condition, controls & safety features of the pulling equipment component parts.
- Understand the ancillary chokering & anchoring equipment & identify worn or damaged components and describe compatibility of components in the system.
- Understand the preparation of the pulling system to assist in tree felling operation, including correct positioning and configuration of chokers/ slings and any intermediate pulleys and correct choice of anchor point.
- A ‘’failsafe’’ required in the winching system such as the use of wedges by chainsaw operator to support to support tree during felling operation.
- Understand setting up snatch block/pulley for offset pulling &describe and the hazards involved including the risk zones and increased loads imposed on the intermediate anchor point.
- Agree a signalling system between winch operator and chainsaw operator and tension system as appropriate
- Winch assisted tree felling operation, safe & effective, under control of chainsaw operator
- To present produce as specified for subsequent extraction or loading.
- To be able to work safely.
Course Information Sheet: Course Information Sheet - Assisted Felling Operations